Wednesday 19 November 2014

Long-listed for the Toto!

Toto Funds the Arts (TFA) is a Bangalore-based non-profit set up in 2004 in memory of Angirus 'Toto' Vellani, a twenty-something boy who was intensely passionate about music, literature and film, but who passed away in a tragic drowning incident. His parents, Sarita and Anmol Vellani (brilliant, kindly souls, bless them!) started TFA to encourage and nurture young talent in India through awards, workshops and other events. In my two years in Bangalore, I attended two workshops, numerous book launches, and poetry and theatre events organised by TFA.

The annual TFA Toto Award for Creative Writing is probably the most prestigious recognition for young writers in India. It has been won previously by a series of illustrious writers that includes the likes of Nisha Susan, Anindita Sengupta, Aditi Machado and Abhishek Majumdar. I have been applying for it since I was 19. I vividly remember each year collating my ten best recent works from this very blog, printing them out, and sending the package to the Vellanis' in Jayanagar. This year was my fifth time submitting work for the Toto. (I sent in two short stories.)

I was delighted to receive a mail today from TFA saying I had been long-listed for this year's award! Here is the announcement of the long-list on their blog.

I consider it a huge achievement to have made even the long-list. Fingers crossed for the short-list. :-)
_

[10 Dec - The shortlist was announced today. I didn't make it. I will be back next year, with my strongest entry ever. Meanwhile, congratulations to the finalists! Their names can be found here.]

No comments: