Sunday 2 August 2009

The Last Few Leaves

[Somewhere in this vast city of Bombay, lies a street- running parallel to the railway track near Grant Road station. It is a quiet, peace-loving neighbourhood, away from the dirt and grime of vehicular traffic.
Towards the Tardeo end of the street, almost hidden from view, is a tree: a drumstick tree that's truly magical..]

When I wake up every morning,
The first things that I see

Are the leaves- the lush green leaves

Of a drumstick tree.

It has been there at that same spot,
Ever since I’ve known;
Under each other’s watchful eyes,
We both up have grown.

The tree was there, I remember, when
I first, my bike, did ride;
And every game of hide-and-seek,
Behind the tree, I’d hide.

The tree, it served as a football post,
When the leaves, they turned to chrome;
Below it, we would sit and chat,
‘Til ‘twas time to go back home.

The tree, it has been privy to many a
Childhood conspiracy;
And though we went and told the others,
It maintained its secrecy.

The drumstick tree, it knew it when I
Had my very first crush;
And during the heat of that first kiss, it
Blew down a cooling gush!

The drumstick tree was always there, when I wanted
Company to study,
To collect my thoughts, or read a book,
Or write my poetry.
_

I could not see the drumstick tree, when I
Woke up on this day:
The tree’s still there- it’s not been chopped-
It’s me who’s moved away.

The trees outside my house now have
Such
colourful
flowers and fruits;
Yet, I think of the drumstick tree,
For that’s where lie my roots.

5 comments:

Nidhi Seethapathi said...

Trees are very blessed as
their roots with them always stay.
It is us, pitiable human beings,
who must move from them away.

very nice :)
u must consider publishing...(if you haven't already)

richa...... said...

wat?
wich tree?
practise what u preach?

Anonymous said...

GP is the tree i'm talking about here.
I guess the metaphor doesn't come out so well.
Oh well..

Harsh Shah said...

greater is the one who listens to those who can't speak!
The tree would miss you and its childhood just as you do!!!

Anonymous said...

‘I am an adulterous resident: when I am in one city, I am dreaming of the other.

I am an exile; citizen of the country of longing.’

— Maximum City, Suketu Mehta