Friday 7 December 2012

Mulaqat-e-Gulzar

Today at the Bangalore Literature Festival, I got to listen to God read out poetry in Gulzar's sonorous voice. I later had the privilege of meeting the master of imagery and came away with this...

Dastkhat-e-Gulzar

He asked me my name in his baritone, scribbled a word in Urdu, and seeing me smile asked me if I could read the language. I said yes, indeed I could and guessed that he had written my name. He scrawled something below the first word and again asked me if I could read. I laughingly admitted that I couldn't! Turns out there are two different ways in which to write the syllable k in Urdu. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! You lucky person! Gulzar saab is my idol. Once I met him at a festival in Mumbai. Didn't get the chance to talk to him like you did. But got an autograph on his book Mirza Ghalib: A Biographical Scenario. I was so happy! :)

Abhishek Rao said...

Yes, I was really lucky that day! He was only talking to the people who had queued up to get his books signed, but by the time I got to the stall, all the copies were sold out. But I still stood at the end of the line to try and speak with him, and ended up with this!

You got to meet William Dalrymple recently? That should be an interesting story!

Aamil said...

Hahaha! He totally gotcha! :D

Abhishek Rao said...

Totally! ;D