Monday 30 November 2009

Mistress of my Nights

[More than a year has gone by: I have been meeting my mistress a minimum of once a month. It has been a good year; but now I must walk away from these verse pursuits, and pursue better ones. So, until my mistress beckons again, and I must inevitably run to her- so long and thanks for visiting!]


"Let go, my Love! the dawn is breaking-"
She held me back in vain;
"I must be now my leave taking
Till we meet again."

She my hand did harder press,
"Pray let me go away.
I never meant you as mistress,
Nor this to be this way.

"I spend my days in those pursuits
Yet I swear I love you more
Than being choked by business suits
And jailed by office doors.

"And so, this is just how I live,
Not how I wanted to;
Oh Poetry, were you lucrative
I'd spend my life with you."


No comments: