Friday 2 October 2009

Many Mothers

[An elegy on the death of a city.]

In faith, I am the offspring of
Not one, but many mothers:
Each one of whom helped in my upbringing
One way or the other.

I used to live in several parts,
One mother made me whole;
One mother gave me a beating heart,
Another gave me a soul.

One mother, she educated me,
She taught me all I know;
One mother more, she fed me so
I did healthy grow.

One other set up businesses,
So I could be employed;
And yet another built houses, so
Of homes, I wasn’t devoid.

They made me who I am, through
Contributions big and small;
I love my mothers, I love them
Equally, I love them all.

My mothers love me back, but they don’t
Love my other mothers;
They all cling on tight to me like
I were only hers.

Two mothers catch my legs, and
Two others grab my hair-
They all pull me towards themselves
As if I were only theirs.

My mothers, they all bicker, trying
To prise the others’ hand;
They send their wrists and their fists flying,
Of which many on me land.

They riot, and they hurl abuses,
They fight over my name-
I die not because of my bruises,
Oh, I die of shame.


1 comment:

Aamil said...

Very good poem. Really liked reading it